It took me a while until I found the time to clean up and assemble my 25th anniversary model from Games Workshop, but last week I got my chance and went on with it. Fortunately the cleaning went pretty well. If there is some big plus for Finecast, then it’s the fact that it’s really easy to cut and trim…
Unfortunately the cleaning unveiled some more air bubbles, but in the end, I got all of those filled up with Liquid Green Stuff. As this was my first time using that, I had some minor difficulties with it at first (I should have used some applicator instead of a soft brush), but in the end everything went fine. There are some small air bubbles I couldn’t fill up without covering up some details, so I had to leave them for the time being. I hope they won’t be easy to spot after painting…
I was pretty tired when I took the photos yesterday, so they turned out quite blurry. If you want to take a better look at the assembled miniature, you could also head over to german portal Brückenkopf and look at their review of this miniature. They, of course, rate it pretty badly, but then they are a bunch of Games Workshop-haters over there. Well, at least they don’t try to hide it… and they do professional photos for sure.
But back to my own miniature. I disliked the fact that Games Workshop only gives you the option to either glue the Crimson Fists Space Marine on his own small base OR on the scenic base. Even though I am more a collector than a gamer, I do want my miniatures to be able to go to battle – and I want my scenery pieces to serve their role on the battlefield, too.
So I first sculpted my own scenery base made from cut and glued CDs with sand, stones and some assorted bitz. It offers space for the original scenery base with the standard and some inconspicuous spot to put the Space Marine on it. This way I can use the scenic base as a terrain piece (probably a mission goal or something) and I can put the Crimson Fist guy on the game, too (though probably just as a mission-specific character – don’t think I would paint him in the colours of my chapter).
In a certain way I do think it actually gives the miniature more “epic” value to put some space between the Marine and his standard.
From this angle you can have a better look at the whole piece. I haven’t yet glued the original scenic base with the standard on my new base, so there’s still a visible gap between the two… but I think it will make painting the standard easier that way.
Of course this time I will paint the edges of small base of the Space Marine to blend in with the rest of the scenery. Might even end up sanding that, too.
As I lack Orks (I only have those from the Black Reach box with some assorted eBay-Orks thrown within) I was a bit at a loss for additional Ork bitz on the base. Fortunately I once won a Deff Dread and he had some nice pieces I didn’t need… I especially like this mask here.
Note that I still haven’t decided what to do with the sewered Ork’s head. I know that it belongs attached to the Power Fist, but frankly I think the miniature looks better without it… really have to think about that…. if I keep it separate, I will probably glue it on the spot where it is now, attaching some spike to the helmet.
Anway, that’s my 25th anniversary model. All in all I am pretty pleased with it, I think it will look splendid once it is finished. Next steps are priming, painting, glueing the resin part to the bigger base and hiding the transition with some additional sand and paint.
Note: this post originally appeared on my older Blog “The Letters from Xanadu”. As I semi-automatically transferred it to my new domain, it may well be that various links and/or photos are not displayed correctly – sorry!